Sunday, June 17, 2012

Martin Luther



"Cursed be that love for whose sake the Bible is put to the stake."

“I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess.”

“You are not only responsible for what you say, but also for what you do not say.”

“Pray, and let God worry.”

“Peace if possible, truth at all costs.”

“Grant that I may not pray alone with the mouth; help me that I may pray from the depths of my heart.”

“I never work better than when I am inspired by anger; for when I am angry, I can write, pray, and preach well, for then my whole temperament is quickened, my understanding sharpened, and all mundane vexations and temptations depart.”

"I am afraid that the schools will prove the very gates of hell, unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures and engraving them in the heart of the youth."

"I feel much freer now that I am certain the pope is the Antichrist."

"Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave."

"You should not believe your conscience and your feelings more than the word which the Lord who receives sinners preaches to you."

“If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write.”

“So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!”

“Feelings come and feelings go,
And feelings are deceiving;
My warrant is the word of God--
Naught else is worth believing.

Though all my heart should feel condemned
For want of some sweet token,
There is One greater than my heart
Whose Word cannot be broken.

I'll trust in God's unchanging Word
Till soul and body sever,
For, though all things shall pass away,
HIS WORD SHALL STAND FOREVER!”

“Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved.”

“He [Christ] died for me. He made His righteousness mine and made my sin His own; and if He made my sin His own, then I do not have it, and I am free.”

"To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing."

"Unless therefore I am convinced by the testimony of Scripture, or by the clearest reasoning, unless I am persuaded by means of the passages I have quoted, and unless they thus render my conscience bound by the Word of God, I cannot and will not retract, for it is unsafe for a Christian to speak against his conscience. Here I stand, I can do no other; may God help me! Amen!”

"The duty of every believer in every age is to find out the spirit of the age and then stand against it."

The people of Martin Luther's day said, "The whole world's against you." He said, "All right, then I'm against it!"

"I have made a covenant with my God that He send me neither visions, dreams, nor even angels. I am well satisfied with the gift of the Holy Scriptures, which give me abundant instruction and all that I need to know both for this life and for the life which is to come." 

"My Katie is, thanks to God, gentle, obedient, compliant in all things, beyond my hopes. I would not exchange my poverty with her for all the riches of Croesus without her. If I were to lose my Katie, I would not take another wife if I were offered a queen." 

“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because his conscience tells him it is right." 

“The devil and temptations also do give occasion unto us somewhat to learn and understand the Scriptures, by experience and practice. Without trials and temptations we should never understand anything thereof; no, not although we diligently read and heard the same.” 

"Our faith in Christ does not free us from works but from false opinions concerning works, that is, from the foolish presumption that justification is acquired by works." 

"I believe that God is the creator, who has given me my body and soul, all members, all physical goods, all possessions. Therefore I owe it to him to serve, thank and praise him." 

"Christians are not made righteous by doing righteous things, but being made righteous by faith in Christ, they do righteous things." 

"What God says is true whether my senses corroborate it or not…though I do not fully comprehend it….I shall know it all in the life to come."

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."

"The true rule is this: God's Word shall establish articles of faith, and no one else, not even an angel can do so."